The City of Gold
Egoli, the City of Gold, draws people in search of fame and fortune from all over Africa. More open-minded, progressive and energetic than any other city on the sub-continent, Jo’burg is one place where the rainbow nation has become a reality.
It’s also the Big Bad City of South Africa and many travellers believe they should avoid it. But give the Urban Jungle a chance and you’ll discover more live music, theatre, shopping malls, casinos, big screens, things to do and massive raves than you’d ever imagined.
So go and get Jo’burged out. It’s exciting.
South Africa’s smallest province makes more than a third of the country’s GDP which means that Jo’burgers (no, it’s not a new McDonalds burger) work hard and play hard while the rest of us just take holidays. The province includes part of the Magaliesberg Mountains and the gold-rich Witwatersrand.
Have a blast in Jo'burg
The big, bad city of Jo’burg. Where urban legends get mugged and young people have a blast.
Jo’burg doesn’t have a mountain or any ocean to get lost in, so people actually do things. Like drink and party a lot.
Just some of the things to do in Jo'ies:
- Go to the Lost City and win a million bucks*
- Greet your hostel owner with “this is a hold up”
- Go down a mine shaft and roll in gold dust.
- Visit the miniland at Wemmer Pan Santarama
- Gasp at the Lippizaner horse show in Kyalami
- Go down a working gold mine at Gold Reef City.
- Do a real gold mine tour thru the Chamber of Mines
- Do a Soweto tour
- Go to Wondergat and the Rhino Park with their impressive caves and all their animals.
- Go to the Lion Park which has plenty of fat sassy lions who look bored but have been known to eat Taiwanese tourists who get out of their car to take pics of the pretty pussys.
- Hit a rave - some of the biggest and best in SA with cool venues.
- Visit the Breweries Museum, learn about the history of this golden nectar and enjoy a pint of Charles Glass’s best brew.
- Visit the Kim Sacks and Everard Reed galleries.
- Go to the Market market (Saturdays only), Bruma (7 days/week), Rosebank Rooftop (Sundays), Michael Mount Organic Market (Tues nites and Saturdays)
Things to do in Gau'teng-aleng-aleng!
- Visit Sun City and get lost (ha ha), surf the Valley of the waves and win a million bucks.
- Check out the Lippizaner horse show in Kyalami – the only place other than Spain in which these magnificent horses perform.
- Pop into the Jo’burg Lion Park where cuddly lion and hyena cubs are often available for happy snaps.
- Venture down a working gold mine, wander through Jo’burg’s past at Gold Reef City, roll in gold dust and try to steal and an ingot without anyone noticing.
- Take a day trip to Soweto, the vibrant township which is a study in contrasts.
- Visit the Apartheid Museum for in-depth information on the history of the people’s revolution.
- See the Cradle of Mankind, the Wonder Caves and Sterkfontein Caves. Mrs Ples (the missing link) lived here thousands of years ago. Watch an archaeological dig in progress.
- See black eagles in the city at Wits Botanical Gardens.
- Take a historical flight in an old DC3 plane or float in a balloon at sunrise
- Check out 88 facet diamonds at the Cullinan Diamond Mine, where the world’s largest diamond was discovered.
- Take your pick from around 40 parks and reserves all within easy reach.
- Hunt down the Big Five at Pilanesberg (no malaria), see cheetahs and wild dogs at De Wildt and track down rhinos and lions at the Rhino and Lion Park.